How to create fresh water from salt water through filters using gravity
Image credit: Michael Liu
Michael Liu Sep 09, 2021
Please leave the feedback on this idea
Is it original or innovative?
Is it feasible?
Is it targeting an unsolved problem?
Is it concisely described?
Water Desalinisation using Gravity
This idea encompasses the ultimate optimization and the most energy efficient way of expanding and using Reverse Osmosis Seawater Desalinisation by using large drilled holes (augers) next to the sea joined by large drilled holes (augers) at the sea bed (see diagram) utilising gravity.
The diagram conveys a rough outline of how water desalinisation could be possible by using gravity as its power source with the use of existing membrane based reverse osmosis filter fibres currently being used in desalinisation plants.
If you look at the diagram you will see a simple but possible desalination plant scenario by the seaside which consists of -
- A 100 metres plus hole/auger - this is where the filtered salt water (which has now been filtered into fresh water) is drained into and eventually pumped out from.
2 & 3. Drilled holes forming catchment pipelines from the sea bed to the 100 metres plus hole/auger. At this stage they have slide in filters at each end so filtration can take place at either end; this is especially handy for continuous filtration when it comes time to change a filter at either end. The amount of holes from the sea bed to the main hole/auger is limitless.
- A pump at the top of the main hole/auger simply pumps out water to a set of above ground/or underground freshwater pipelines.
Numerous variations can be developed here as everything depends on creating enough water pressure to push the salt water through the filters.
- The angle of the salt water catchment pipe lines
- The depth of the sea bed filter at the top of the salt water catchment pipelines
- The depth of the main hole/auger
Sea bottom dredging may need to be done to create more favourable conditions.
Various cages can be built to stop sea matter (such as seaweed) blocking the top of the sea bed pipelines.
Copyright Michael Liu March 10th 2006
Know someone who can contribute to this idea? Share it with them on , , or