How to get local restaurants to abandon plastic take-away containers?
- getting the restaurant owners to even care about the type of containers they use
- getting people to care about the type of containers their food comes delivered in
- finding suppliers of truly compostable, biodegradable takeaway food containers
- finding such that will hold warm sauces, even soups for long enough to be delivered and food eaten - while they shouldn't contain health-damaging chemicals (glues, plastifiers, etc)
- finding such that fully enclose the food (lids or boxes), rather than just plates
- finding such that can compete in price with the plastic containers
- misinformation: some options listed as ecologically friendly and biodegradable are actually not so in normal conditions
Biodegradable plates made from Palash tree leaves
Kora, A.J. Leaves as dining plates, food wraps and food packing material: Importance of renewable resources in Indian culture. Bull Natl Res Cent 43, 205 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s42269-019-0231-6
Buy a pack of biodegradable containers and give them to your favorite restaurants
- I bought a 100-pack of biodegradable clamshell takeaway containers
- Went to the restaurant in person, ordered a takeaway for 5 people, and asked to have it packed in my biodegradable packaging. I gave them the 100-pack and asked to talk to the boss.
- Being a frequent customer it was easy to arrange to have all my future orders packaged in my biodegradable packaging.
- Told them where the cheapest place to buy the packaging is and had a talk about the EU ban on single-use plastic.
Manufacturing process of Areca leaf packaging
- the price of the machine is around 310 USD
- good areas to look for Areca suppliers are South-Shimoga, Tumkur, Chennagiri, Assam
Areca alternatives that grow in Europe / America?
Manufacturing process of wheat straw fiber packaging
Reusable food boxes
- In the long term is cheaper to reuse the same food boxes more than disposable ones
- it encourages people to get in the refill mental set
- if you want your box to be resistant (so you can reuse it) it will also probably keep the heat more efficiently
- weight is higher: not a problem for a scooter or car delivery, but luckily now many food deliveries are used completed by bike. They could make it lighter by keeping on using plastic for their boxes, but since they'll use the boxes for nearly forever the plastic pollution out of it it's quite minimal
- it takes longer to deliver the food: the receiver may not be ready, all the corona rules...
Ecoware - a company that makes degradable food packaging products
Compostable, biodegradable clamshell takeaway boxes from China
- degradablepackage.com; made of sugarcane bagasse, price without shipping per clamshell: 0.0823 USD
Manufacture takeaway packs from sawdust and other forms of wood waste
- Sawdust is collected as a byproduct or waste from lumber firms and woodwork centers. Old furniture can also be grounded into smaller parts so that they will be used for this purpose.
- The sawdust is going to be sterilized so that it is free of contaminants.
- The sawdust will be dried to make sure the products do not lose their integrity over short periods of time.
- The dust can now be polished with hypoallergenic wood polish that is safe to eat on. After the sawdust is polished, it will become water-resistant so that it is not easily denatured when it comes in contact with water or corrosive substances.
- The sawdust can now be poured into molds and made to take the mold's shape by applying food-grade glue. The sawdust will take the shape of takeaway packs and is ready for use.