A growing list of top biotech startup ideas
Image credit: Faria Anzum / unsplash.com
Mass culturing the most potent nematodes for pest control
- EPNs and the bacterial associated with them are proven to be safe to warm-blooded vertebrates, including humans.
- They are pretty quick in their actions. While most of the biological agents require days or weeks to kill the host, nematodes can kill insects usually in 24-48 hours.
- They are easy and cost-friendly to culture. They live from several weeks up to months in the infective stage. They are able to attack numerous insect species, and they are cosmopolitan in occurrence (Antarctica being the only exception.)
- Not just for soil applications, nematodes have been successfully used to control the leaf eating caterpillars like Tuta absoluta, Spodoptera littoralis, Heicoverpa armigera, Pieri brassicae on several crops.
- EPN application doesn’t require safety precautions like wearing masks and other equipment, hence rendering lesser associated occupational hazards.
Kaya H.K., Gaugler R. 1993. Entomopathogenic nematodes. Annual Review of Entomology, 38: 181–206.
Boemare N.E., Laumond C., Mauleon H. 1996. The entomopathogenic nematode-bacterium complex: biology, life cycle and vertebrate safety. Biocontrol Science Technology, 6: 333–346.
Griffin C.T., Downes M.J., Block W. 1990. Test of Antarctic soils for insect parasitic nematodes. Antarctic Science, 2: 221–222.
Phage therapy against antibiotic resistance
Fully automated and autonomous mouse lab
Plant tissue culture kits for growing medicinal, nutraceutical, and endangered plants at home
Apply Bacteria to the Scalp for Hair Regeneration
Upcycle organic waste into food supplements
- Move closer to zero waste and circular economy
- Address malnutrition (PEM) and by extension enable growth in the lowest socio-economic strata
- REGRAINED - Spent grain (after making beer) to bread and protein bars
- PLANETARIANS - Spent sunflower oilseed into high protein chips
A novel endometriosis blood test
Cancer cell sponge
Microbial strain bank for antibiotic producing microbes
Dhakar, K., & Pandey, A. (2020). Microbial Ecology from the Himalayan Cryosphere Perspective. Microorganisms, 8(2), 257. https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms8020257
Sapkota, A., Thapa, A., Budhathoki, A., Sainju, M., Shrestha, P., & Aryal, S. (2020). Isolation, Characterization, and Screening of Antimicrobial-Producing Actinomycetes from Soil Samples. International journal of microbiology, 2020, 2716584. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/2716584
Remodeling adipose tissue to achieve weight loss
- White adipose tissue (WAT) stores fat in cells known as adipocytes. Its main functions are insulation and energy storage. However, excess of WAT can result in insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes, apart from other metabolic complications.
- Brown adipose tissue (BAT) shares an embryologic origin with muscle tissue, and its main function is thermogenesis through mitocondria-mediated lipid oxidation. BAT obtains lipids from the WAT and then burns them to generate heat.
Kuryłowicz, Alina, and Monika Puzianowska-Kuźnicka. “Induction of Adipose Tissue Browning as a Strategy to Combat Obesity.” International journal of molecular sciences vol. 21,17 6241. 28 Aug. 2020, doi:10.3390/ijms21176241
Plants that notify when they encounter specific chemicals in the groundwater
- Detect rare minerals in the soil to initiate mining
- Detect groundwater
- Detect oil (I am not sure)
- Detect hazardous chemicals/ pollutants
Wong, M., Giraldo, J., Kwak, SY. et al. Nitroaromatic detection and infrared communication from wild-type plants using plant nanobionics. Nature Mater 16, 264–272 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1038/nmat4771
Cure for allergies by eliminating the memory cells that produce the antibodies
Gene therapies to remove latent viruses
Cell Cleansing Therapy
Self-replicating biodegradable utensils (growing spoons)
Mouth microbiota modification therapy to protect your teeth better than tooth paste
Finding a way to induce suspended animation in humans
A DIY phytochemical (essential oil) extraction kit
Company that stores your data in the DNA
- Base A = 11
- Base T = 10
- Base G = 01
- Base C = 00
- It adds a level of encryption to your data
- Data maintenance costs are close to zero. E. coli thrives even in water.
Supplying foods with specific bacteria (probiotics)
Gene therapy to induce tooth re-growth
Takahashi, K., Kiso, H., Murashima-Suginami, A. et al. Development of tooth regenerative medicine strategies by controlling the number of teeth using targeted molecular therapy. Inflamm Regener 40, 21 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s41232-020-00130-x
One protocol to rule them all
A database of super-genes and plasmid delivery service
Probiotic mix for hydroponic and aeroponic medium
- protect the plant from pathogen/parasitic microbes
- aid it in the absorption of nutrients
- help plants resist environmental stress