What do you think about engineering plants for the production of biopharmaceuticals?
Image credit: @danicalifornia / unsplash.com
Please leave the feedback on this session
Is the problem still unsolved?
Is it concisely described?
Daniell H, Streatfield SJ, Wycoff K. Medical molecular farming: production of antibodies, biopharmaceuticals and edible vaccines in plants. Trends Plant Sci 2001; 6:219–26.
D.A. Goldstein, J.A. Thomas, Biopharmaceuticals derived from genetically modified plants, QJM: An International Journal of Medicine, Volume 97, Issue 11, November 2004, Pages 705–716.
Giddings G, Allison G, Brooks D, Carter A. Transgenic plants as factories for biopharmaceuticals. Nature Biotechnol 2000; 18:1151–5.
Start the plant pharms, but first solve these riddles:
- How to eliminate the possibility of unintentional and unwanted contact and contamination?
- How to establish universal standards for vaccine-producing plants?
- How to minimize the loss of produced biomolecules/proteins while using plants as producers?
- How to decontaminate the produced proteins from other interfering phytochemicals, and from proteolysis?
- How to keep the native structural and functional in the recombinant proteins, ensuring zero unwanted immunogenicity?
Inaba, Y., Zhong, W. Q., Zhang, X.-H., and Widholm, J. M. 2007. Specificity of expression of the GUS reporter gene (uidA) driven by the tobacco ASA2 promoter in soybean plants and tissue cultures. J. Plant Physiol. 164: 824–834.
Fiedler, U., Phillips, J., Artsaenko, O., and Conrad, U. 1997. Optimization of scFv antibody production in transgenic plants. Immunotechnology 3: 205–216.
Bischoff, F., 2004. A top-down view of molecular farming from the pharmaceutical industry: requirements ad expectations. In: Molecular Farming: Plant-Made Pharmaceuticals and Technical Proteins, 267–287. Fischer, R., and Schillberg, S., eds., Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany.
Saint-Jore-Dupas, C., Faye L., and Gomord, V. 2007. From planta to pharma with glycosylation in the toolbox. Trends Biotechnol. 25: 317–323.
Chargelegue, N. D., Drake, P. M. W., Obregon, P., and Ma, J. C. K. 2005. Production of secretory IgA in transgenic plants. In Molecular Farming: Plant-Made Pharmaceuticals and Technical Proteins, 159–169. Fischer, R., and Schillberg, S., eds., Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany.