Life seed capsules hurled into space from satellites using centrifugal catapults
Image credit: Bdelloid rotifers, Karine Van Doninck at UNamur and ULB
Please leave the feedback on this idea
Is it original or innovative?
Is it feasible?
Is it targeting an unsolved problem?
Is it concisely described?
Bounty for the best solution
Provide a bounty for the best solution
Bounties attract serious brainpower to the challenge.
- Potentially seed life in the galaxy.
- Interstellar seed vault.
- Interstellar insurance policy for life.
Vreeland RH, Rosenzweig WD, Powers DW. Isolation of a 250 million-year-old halotolerant bacterium from a primary salt crystal. Nature. 2000 Oct 19;407(6806):897-900. doi: 10.1038/35038060. PMID: 11057666.
"Safety valves" for the right conditions
- Oxygen valve - if the levels of oxygen (or any other gas necessary for life) are adequate, the valve releases the microbial life; in the shape of a small flame that tries to be light up (and for that you need oxygen)
- Humidity valve - when the ice from the capsule melts, it uncovers a tiny humidor capsule that gets opened only if the humidity is right
- UV valve - if the UV is too strong, it destroys the ozone inside the valve chamber, which creates a vacuum and shuts the capsule forever