Facebook PixelProlonging human lifespan by reducing the background radiation exposure
Brainstorming
Tour
Brainstorming
Create newCreate new
EverythingEverything
ChallengesChallenges
IdeasIdeas
Idea

Prolonging human lifespan by reducing the background radiation exposure

Image credit: https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-gas-masks-3591394/

Loading...
J. Nikola
J. Nikola Oct 05, 2020
Please leave the feedback on this idea
Originality

Is it original or innovative?

Feasibility

Is it feasible?

Necessity

Is it targeting an unsolved problem?

Conciseness

Is it concisely described?

Bounty for the best solution

Provide a bounty for the best solution

Bounties attract serious brainpower to the challenge.

Currency *
Bitcoin
Who gets the Bounty *
Distribution
In what amount is the background radiation responsible for DNA damage and human health?


Physics defines radiation as energy transmission in the form of waves or particles. It can be electromagnetic (UV, visible light, microwaves, radio waves, etc.), particle (the notorious alpha, beta, and gamma), acoustic and gravitational.

Every day, we are exposed to different sources of background radiation. Although it varies by location, time, and other factors, the amounts are generally high. For example, annual human exposure to ionizing radiance summary states that artificial sources of radiation (medical, testing, fuel, consumer items, etc.) account for approx. 55 % of the total human exposure, while inhalation of air, ingestion of food and water, cosmic and terrestrial radiance account for the other 45 %.

Imagine if we set up an experiment on fast-dividing bacteria in radiation-shielded environments where all/different sources of radiation are blocked/allowed. Would the bacteria living in "radiation-free" have a lower rate of DNA-damage and mutations?

Can we affect longevity by incorporating radiation-shielding materials in our walls, clothes, and skin-care products?

[1]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5637100/

[2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation

1
Creative contributions

Missing out on hormesis

Loading...
Darko Savic
Darko Savic Oct 05, 2020
A while ago I talked about this idea with a few people, including David Sinclair. I was told that there were some experiments done where zero radiation proved to be worse than no radiation. I would imagine it had to do with missing out on the benefits of hormesis due to low radiation.
Please leave the feedback on this idea
Loading...
J. Nikola
J. Nikola2 years ago
I believe it could be true. I did some research and found that statement (https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q10453.html), but I would like to see the publications.
Please leave the feedback on this idea

Add your creative contribution

0 / 200

Added via the text editor

Sign up or

or

Guest sign up

* Indicates a required field

By using this platform you agree to our terms of service and privacy policy.

General comments