Genetically engineered fruit that contains a coffee cup's worth of caffeine per berry
Image credit: NaanDanJain
Please leave the feedback on this idea
Is it original or innovative?
Is it feasible?
Is it targeting an unsolved problem?
Is it concisely described?
Bounty for the best solution
Provide a bounty for the best solution
Bounties attract serious brainpower to the challenge.
- Why go through such an elaborate energy-intensive process just for a hit of caffeine? Transport, cooking, coffee making machinery, etc. People will consume their favorite drug regardless of the form it comes in. They would love the berry and the associated taste just the same.
- The fruit could be grown anywhere in the world.
- A new cash crop for agriculture.
- Caffeine is not illegal, neither should the fruit be.
Kim YS, Uefuji H, Ogita S, Sano H. Transgenic tobacco plants producing caffeine: a potential new strategy for insect pest control. Transgenic Res. 2006 Dec;15(6):667-72. doi: 10.1007/s11248-006-9006-6. Epub 2006 Nov 8. PMID: 17091387.
Why only one berry?
- A person can enjoy berries without negative effect of eating the whole package
- Engineering could be less complicated
- The taste of berries could be better, since the pure caffeine is extremely bitter
- The plant growth would be less affected, since high doses of caffeine can be toxic for insects, particularlyhoneybees, responsible for the pollenation