How can we speed-up the forest regeneration?
Image credit: https://unsplash.com/photos/UmncJq4KPcA
The idea behind
The (partial) solutions
- One solution to make this process faster could be to seed/plant some other plant species that grow faster. This option could bring nature back to life much faster but could encounter problems of growing in conditions different from the optimal ones.
- The other solution could be to prepare and optimize the soil for the fast and unobstructed growth of the trees that grew there before (pine trees) and then plant millions of trees using drones (video)! But that tree is still not going to grow big in a couple of years, but the process will take at least 20.
Erosion control blankets (coconut or similar)
Create fire-resistant trees and plants
Singh, Amanjot, and Anil Grover. "Genetic engineering for heat tolerance in plants." Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants 14.1 (2008): 155-166.
Manipulating PXY and CLE gene expressions can lead to a 2-fold increase in wood formation
- ectopic manipulation of expression resulted in vascular tissue abnormalities and poor plant growth
- precise tissue-specific PtPP2::PttCLE41-PttANT::PttPXY double overexpression plants exhibited a 2-fold increase in the rate of wood formation, were taller, and possessed larger leaves compared to the controls
Famous horses to enrich the substrate for the forest
Things go faster when your mind is slower
A breakdown of associated problems
- rocky land with little organic matter on the ground - poor substrate for the forest
- regular strong winds
- a high concentration of sea salt in the air (and ground via rain?)
- regular periods of drought
- what else?