NFTs could be a vehicle for song evolution.
Image credit: Nigel Allan https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
- Make NFTs including stem folders and market for remix/remaster
- Create different mixes/masters for songs depending on what environment/playback device they’re played on (i.e. car, headphones, quiet room)
- Mix/master songs for different niches
- Create membership programs for NFTs (i.e. raffles for rare collectibles)
- Consider songs as dynamic artifacts that will change with technology and taste
- Sell NFTs as merchandise, art, tickets, etc.
- Hire mastering engineers that specialize in domains, e.g. Radio, streaming
- Labels can specialize in different mediums, creating competition and incentive for NFT trading
- Produce mass/limited NFTs that customers can purchase, including a percent for artists
- Create ticketing agencies that distributes a form of NFTs as tickets so that attendees have a digital artifact of attending the concert. Could include access to concert footage.
- Work with artists to sell NFTs of different tiers (i.e. VIP, autograph session, etc.)
- NFT raffles
- Experiment with different playlists of the same songs but mastered for different purposes (i.e. for the car, for headphones
- Experiment with using microphone (with consent of the user) to adjust playback according to environment
- Use different masters submitted by artists, fading between them depending on the user environment
- Allow more versatility for artists to submit different mixes/masters of the same song
- Perhaps adding a “select version” option for songs
- Play versions of songs at set intervals (i.e. the first time you listen to the song is different than the second or third time)
- Set default versions in response to listener’s tastes, location, referral, etc.
- Allow artists to sell NFTs of songs through streaming apps
- Allow access to versions of songs depending on users’ NFT status
- DON’T throttle quality to make users purchase NFTs
- Create different masters of songs based on different listener environments and playback devices
- Save, organize, and back up all stems and files
- Specialize in different avenues
- Collaborate with other mastering engineers, trading files and NFTs
- Work with labels and independent artists
- Replace Loudness War with Race for Richness
Nguyen, Terry. NFTs, the digital bits of anything that sell for millions of dollars, explained. Vox, 11 March 2021.
Harford, McKenna. The power of music: Local musician PJ Olsson nabs Grammy nomination for project with Alan Parsons (with video). Sky-Hi News, 4 January 2019.
Machover, Tod and Holbrow, Charles. Towards New Musics: What the future holds for sound creativity. MIT Media Lab, 26 July 2019.